Thursday, July 19, 2012

Where not to eat!

I love to support local businesses, but those business have to make an effort to obtain ongoing support from the community. This week I thought for sure I would find a new local business to support in Orchid's Jamaican American Restaurant (the menu on the website lists far more items than the menu you receive at the restaurant) at 1113 State Street in Schenectady. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and my excitement for this restaurant was nearly diffused as soon as I walked into their new location on State Street. When my friend and I entered the restaurant our hostess did not immediately greet us, which I can get over if the rest of service is adequate. Our hostess turned out to be our waitress and once we were seated we soon realized we might not see her again unless we motioned for her to come back to our table. I do not know about you, but I think it is a safe assumption for a waitress to assume when she seats people and provides them with menus that they will probably be placing an order for food. Apparently, our waitress did not think that way since she was not too quick to return to our table to take our order. I still remained optimistic that the food would blow me away and our waitress would improve her service. I was wrong...again! The food was sub-par and was no comparison to the Jerk chicken, rice and peas, collard greens, and corn bread I came to love at Clayton's, which closed several years ago. Every bite of chicken I took required me to remove what felt like pieces of shrapnel from my mouth. There were unidentifiable pieces of "chicken". The cornbread was comparable to a dried up sponge. Did I mention that the waitress never came back to ask us how our food was (not good); see if we wanted refills on our drinks (we did) or if we needed anything else (hot sauce...please)? It was some of the worst service I have ever had at a restaurant. My friend and I were one of two groups of two dining in the restaurant so being busy waiting on other tables was not a reasonable excuse for our waitress. What was she doing all this time we were waiting for service? Leaning against the bar chatting it up with some of her girlfriends. The final straw was her refusal to take a valid entertainment book coupon because they do not take them anymore! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but now you know my opinion! I give this place a few months before they are out of business! I guess we will have to wait and see what the future hold for Orchid's.


No comments:

Post a Comment